This style defining technique is not only super simple, but a quick and easy way to get the ball rolling and thinking about elements that will make up your signature style. I love this technique especially for fashion newbies, or someone who is looking for a way to update their wardrobe seasonally. I guess it kinda makes sense to start off by determining what is NOT your style, which makes it that much easier to discover what IS your style.
For some, defining your personal style can be a bit overwhelming, especially for those who have no idea where to start. This technique causes you to think about different elements of your wardrobe (colors, textures, etc.) by process of elimination to determine what could potentially become part of your signature style.
Instead of jotting down what you already like or want to incorporate into your style, the purpose of this technique is to do the exact opposite. Grab a pen and paper and write down everything you don’t like. Think specific pieces, patterns, colors, textures, cuts and fits, accessories, hairstyles, makeup looks, anything you can think of.
Here are some questions you can ask yourself to help you get started with your list:
- What types of things would you NEVER wear?
- What pieces can you appreciate on others, but don’t like for yourself?
- What types of things have you tried to make work, but wasn’t successful?
- What trends (current and/or past) are you passing on?
- What pieces and/or styles do you ignore when shopping because you know you wont like it?
- What elements are ultimate deal breakers and will stop you from buying even if it’s a beautiful item?
Continue to add to your list with any questions you want to ask yourself to assist your elimination process. Once you’ve got your NOT MY STYLE LIST completed, the “I PREFER” list is the next step. For everything that you listed that’s NOT your style, in the “I PREFER” list write down an alternative with something that is a reflection of your style, or something you’re currently sporting and already embracing.
NOT MY STYLE
- kitten heels
- low rise pants
- dramatic glam makeup
- boot cut jeans
- overall shorts
- pointed toe pumps
- high-waisted pants
- sun kissed glow natural makeup
- skinny jeans and flare leg jeans
- romper shorts
After you’ve completed both lists, pat yourself on the back! You now have an organized mini synopsis of detailed likes and dislikes, and the perfect starting point to developing your unique signature style!